About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Rebecca Williams, a dual qualified clinical psychologist and climbing instructor. Smart Climbing is a holistic approach to developing your climbing, and we weave yoga, technique, and ropework together with psychological knowledge to give a very different sort of climbing workshop. I'm based in Snowdonia where we run the open workshop, but can travel to you for private courses.

Tuesday 11 August 2009

Its great to get feedback

Constructive feedback is always helpful yet often we are defensive, feeling insecure or that the feedback somehow reflects on us as a person or means that we are not as well liked as we hoped.   Often we think we are giving ourselves feedback when in fact what we are doing is criticising ourselves, beating ourselves up about things we "should" do better.  It can be hard to objectively analyse our performance and see the strengths as well as our growing edges.  An over-emphasis on problems can lead to perpetuation of those problems, whereas a focus on strengths and solutions is usually much more helpful.  Our poor brains dont understand "dont do/think about x"; instead what they hear is just "x".  As climbers tend to be very achievement orientated, this tendency is often quite pronounced, and it can take a huge effort to learn to be kind to ourselves.

A few days ago I was delighted to receive some positive feedback so I am going to share it with you now!  A guy emailed me and said;

"Just to let you know that although I haven't been to see you you've already helped me. I read your blog regularly and 2 weekends ago went with my pal to North Wales, we did some easy multi pitch stuff on little tryf and the next day did Cneifon Arete. I overcame some of my fears by not letting the "chatter" as you called it interfere, I'm not there yet but I just want to thank you for being instrumental in helping me. I still want to attend one of your weekend courses when I get some money together as I think they'll help me immensely"

Brilliant!!  

No comments: