About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Rebecca Williams, a dual qualified clinical psychologist and climbing instructor. Smart Climbing is a holistic approach to developing your climbing, and we weave yoga, technique, and ropework together with psychological knowledge to give a very different sort of climbing workshop. I'm based in Snowdonia where we run the open workshop, but can travel to you for private courses.

Friday 24 April 2009

So much to say!


Well till tonight the sun has been a constant, so I have a fair few days out.  What stands out in my mind is climbing at Holyhead Mountain with 3 great friends, with a supportive atmosphere so that everyone led climbs which challenged them, and then an evening bouldering session.  At this session too, someone had the patience to show me a secret move on a problem I had been trying for ages which made all the difference!

The reason I am saying all this is that lots of people I have worked with have ended up climbing with people who are not supportive - perhaps they are impatient, pushy, selfish, aggressive in style, or lacking in skill - and this has almost ruined climbing for these clients.  Please please please, if you find yourself in such a situation, don't blame yourself and think, if I climbed better this wouldn't happen.  That is not true.  In reality, climbing is a partnership and a supportive partner will help you climb better than someone who makes you feel inadequate, rushed, or plain crap!  Its good to climb with people of different abilities as it means you swap roles, but never feel you have to put up with partners who don't support you. There are plenty of lovely climbers out there who value the give and take and don't judge you as a person based on your climbing ability.

No comments: