About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Rebecca Williams, a dual qualified clinical psychologist and climbing instructor. Smart Climbing is a holistic approach to developing your climbing, and we weave yoga, technique, and ropework together with psychological knowledge to give a very different sort of climbing workshop. I'm based in Snowdonia where we run the open workshop, but can travel to you for private courses.

Saturday 20 June 2009

Relaxing after a great workshop!



Its been extraordinarily busy in the run up to the open workshop which finally came to fruition last weekend.  Twelve climbers aged between their twenties and fifties attended a packed weekend, covering technique, ropework, falling practise, yoga, anxiety management, body awareness and injury prevention and management, as well as some serious cake eating and an evening lecture by local septegenarian climber Colin Goodey!

Formal feedback is starting to come in, but over the course of the weekend I watched with joy as some people overcame fears of falling, improved their technique, gained confidence in their ropework, and tried some new activities (groin work in the yoga and mindful sultana eating!).  As always there are things I would do differently, but as a whole the weekend was a great experience with a really lovely group of people.  Hopefully they will post their comments on here too!

So, this week has been a chance for me to reflect on both how it went but also what I taught and what it means to me to climb mindfully.  An evening bouldering session helped me to clarify that I love the movement of climbing, the carefully placing of body in balance, the focus on both the specific parts of your body and also the body as a whole.  But also, climbing with great people in what is a beautiful part of the world.  Perfect:)

No comments: