About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Rebecca Williams, a dual qualified clinical psychologist and climbing instructor. Smart Climbing is a holistic approach to developing your climbing, and we weave yoga, technique, and ropework together with psychological knowledge to give a very different sort of climbing workshop. I'm based in Snowdonia where we run the open workshop, but can travel to you for private courses.

Saturday 20 June 2009

Some feedback

Just thought I would copy in some of the feedback I have had so far after the open workshop...

Food and accommodation 
What did you think of the bunkhouse? "Nicest bunkhouse I’ve ever stayed in"
What did you think of the breakfast materials?  "Plenty of variety and quantity. Better than I expected"
What did you think of the coffee and cake at V12? "Hard to believe a climbing shop would do such a nice latte!!"
What did you think of the food at the Gallt y Glyn evening meal? "Again very good. Great pizza"

Workshops:
Psychological skills: "Really helpful in perspective of why I climb and handling the anxiety when it comes up.  The whole cycle helped me identify some key areas of how I can break the cycle and climbing for two day afterwards I found these techniques worked in helping me remain calmer (across lead on trad, sport and even top roping) – although I am sure sounding like ivor the engine with my deep regulated breathing is not the norm!"     

Yoga: "Really enjoyed these and looking for a class locally – highlighted flexibility issues for me and lower body, but also a great positive for me in terms of upper body flexibility and the balance (usually blame my weaker left foot for poor climbing, but managed the tree on it that morning and took the whole excuse away and a positive for me on balance side) – wish I could do this sort of thing every time I go climbing". 

Ropework: "I wasn't expecting the rope technique session but it turned out to be a real valuable update for me (as Bryn will tell you I still use a double fisherman's to tie two ropes together!) , and I appreciated the way Bryn and I had the chance to talk about pros and cons and how he was able to offer explanations as to why one thing was better than another etc. There is always a risk and a cost in changing habitual habits (like what know you use) so its important to have that personal experience angle."

Falling practice: "Very pleased with how this went – after the morning on a top rope wasn’t sure how far I would get, but pleased with the content and also how the progression built up to allow my to progress at comfortably level – slumping on top rope to then slack etc really worked for me, especially when compared to other courses where they have pushed straight to lead falls.  Went back to beacon  on Monday to follow on and managed it even in a busy room of people, real progression for me.  I think the only thing that would have improved this section, would have been to take a fall/slump onto “real” placed gear to start the process of building up trust again."  

"Overall I really enjoyed the experience and as a last effort to re-fire my enthusiasm for climbing I have to say a success.  The combination of other peoples fears and reasons for climbing as well as the time spent with the group and just feeding from the enthusiasm has helped me to rediscover the desire to climb. Having spent two days after the course in the area and climbing for the second day I found the course had helped give me some skills and techniques to help bring anxiety under control and to continue to enjoy the climb. Going forward I am looking forward to continuing to reinforce the positive messages from the workshop and activities with my training, climbing and continued desire to now fall on a rope (indoors at least)"

"Thanks again for a great weekend Rebecca. What a fantastic and inspiring weekend. It was a pleasure to meet you, Lucy, Bryn, Victoria and Diane, but also what a great bunch of people came to the weekend! I have never liked wall climbing at any level (physical, intellectual or aesthetic) and I came away from Saturday having had my belief in my own technical and psychological ineptitude at wall climbing well and truly confirmed! However, feeling more positive after Sunday I have made a promise to myself to start going to the wall a bit- not 'to do' the big overhangs but to see how far I can get up them. I also want to spend lots of time on the bouldering wall just enjoying doing what Lucy taught us with no achievement pressure. I really valued that time with Lucy, since I learnt to climb at Plas y Brenin back in 1977, I don't think anyone has ever talked to me about 'how to climb' just what to climb. How refreshing was that! It was also quite emotional watching Lucy climb  that 6b as if she was walking down the street- emotional both from the sheer aesthetic of watching such a consummate technician move, to a slight poignancy over lost opportunities (do you know the McGough poem that starts something like - it seems unlikely now that I'll score the winning goal for England at Wembley..!) I have to say though- Colin was a real antidote to that in the evening!"

No comments: