About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Rebecca Williams, a dual qualified clinical psychologist and climbing instructor. Smart Climbing is a holistic approach to developing your climbing, and we weave yoga, technique, and ropework together with psychological knowledge to give a very different sort of climbing workshop. I'm based in Snowdonia where we run the open workshop, but can travel to you for private courses.

Monday 13 July 2009

Further explorations!

Continuing with my exploration theme, this lunchtime I managed to squeeze in a quick bouldering session at the Orme at a newish bouldering venue.  Again, I had no guidebook and just followed my nose to some nice looking lines. Lovely!

Its so important for human adults to play!  Its something we found easy as children but many adults struggle to let go enough to play as adults.  Climbing is an activity which easily lends itself to play, yet many people I work with have forgotten how to enjoy climbing!  They spend all their time seriously training, pushing themselves and beating themselves up when they fail to achieve their self imposed targets.

Now there is nothing wrong with setting yourself goals, but ask yourself, am I so focused on the end point I am no longer enjoying the process?  If that is the case, then two things tend to happen - firstly, motivation tends to drop off, and secondly, we can become so tightly wound that choking occurs and performance drops right off.

Be sure to make time to play with your climbing.  Explore, climb around rather than up, go with friends, leave the guidebook at home, play around with new moves and games.  Have fun!

No comments: