About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Rebecca Williams, a dual qualified clinical psychologist and climbing instructor. Smart Climbing is a holistic approach to developing your climbing, and we weave yoga, technique, and ropework together with psychological knowledge to give a very different sort of climbing workshop. I'm based in Snowdonia where we run the open workshop, but can travel to you for private courses.

Thursday 16 July 2009

Motivation up again!

So those few evenings of wandering about and playing on pieces of rock I hadn't been on for a while really paid off!  Yesterday I found myself feeling more motivated again, and brought my sense of playfulness back to some problems I had been trying for a while.  I realised I had been trying them in exactly the same way each time (which hadnt been working).   A fair few people were around so I watched closely to see how they tried the problems, and then had a go at doing it in their style - "imitating" them if you will!

Result! One move higher on a front face problem, and much nearer grasping the jug on the dreaded horizontal overhang!  Both problems now feel within my grasp and I reckon with some more sit ups over the next couple of months I may get them!  I am also off on a jaunt up north for a couple of weeks, and really looking forward to exploring new places and new rock types. 

So today's top tip; try climbing "in the style of...." - this can be anyone you see climbing at a similar or slightly harder standard than you - great for making you use your body differently and try moves or options you wouldn't normally try!   And apologies to those people I imitated the other evening!!

No comments: