About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Rebecca Williams, a dual qualified clinical psychologist and climbing instructor. Smart Climbing is a holistic approach to developing your climbing, and we weave yoga, technique, and ropework together with psychological knowledge to give a very different sort of climbing workshop. I'm based in Snowdonia where we run the open workshop, but can travel to you for private courses.

Monday 7 September 2009

Playful climbing


Thought I would add a little post on my trip to Fontainebleau.  It was my first time there, and I was blown away by the numbers of problems and the thoughtful attention to creating circuits at all levels, so that there really was something for everyone.

The rock took a little getting used to, but with kids circuits, beginners circuits and plenty of mid-grade circuits, it was always easy to find something to help you work up to the next level.  The people I climbed with helped me find a sense of fun and play, and following the circuit arrows around the vast areas gave the days an exploratory feel.  Rather than ticking off problems, I found myself trying anything and everything that took my fancy, and once we had located the area we wanted to climb in, it was easy to throw off the guidebook and open our eyes to what the rock provided.

A really great way to explore a different way of using my body and mind, and it left me wanting to go back for more!

No comments: