About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Rebecca Williams, a dual qualified clinical psychologist and climbing instructor. Smart Climbing is a holistic approach to developing your climbing, and we weave yoga, technique, and ropework together with psychological knowledge to give a very different sort of climbing workshop. I'm based in Snowdonia where we run the open workshop, but can travel to you for private courses.

Thursday 5 March 2009

Focus on recovery


Unfortunately I am still unwell, so for this week's meditation practice I have been focusing on my immune system! Before you think I have gone mad, let me just say that there is evidence to suggest that the mind has a huge influence on the immune system.  So I am hoping that by imagining the blood flowing round my body, full of oxygen, nutrients and white blood cells, my body will get a gentle reminder to pull its socks up and fight off this infection that has been troubling me for a couple of months.  

I have also been using this week to take some gentle exercise, and getting lots of sleep.  Again research suggests that good quality sleep is essential for renewing cells, and very gentle exercise is good for circulation and so on.  Coupling this with eating healthily and avoiding alcohol and anything that would stress my liver also seems like a good idea.  I would be lying if I said I wasnt a little despondent, but focusing on how annoying and miserable it is to be ill will only increase stress and negativity, and wont help me get better. So if I catch myself ruminating about being ill, I simply gently move my attention back to things that will support my recovery.  This is a mindfulness technique, in yet another context.

No comments: