About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Rebecca Williams, a dual qualified clinical psychologist and climbing instructor. Smart Climbing is a holistic approach to developing your climbing, and we weave yoga, technique, and ropework together with psychological knowledge to give a very different sort of climbing workshop. I'm based in Snowdonia where we run the open workshop, but can travel to you for private courses.

Sunday 1 March 2009

seduced by the sun


such a lovely spring day today, so despite feeling pretty ropey still with not much of a voice and pretty tired, I went for a boulder. My intention was just to do a very gentle session and move all my muscles. However, seduced by the sun, and the fact that having been ill for 2 months, I have lost a stone in weight so feeling very light, I ended up doing a bit more than I should. There was a real lesson here for me in terms of watching my mental processes, which are always about "try a bit harder" - my own private inner personal trainer, pushing me. And today, that was not what I needed. Consequence - a burst blood vessel in my finger and a dry crampy pump in my shoulders after trying a problem I used to easily climb last summer. The brain remembered how to do it but the fitness and body-sense wasnt there, and rather than stepping off, I was driven to over try. People tend to fall into 2 camps, those whose brains tell them to ease off way before their limit so they dont climb up to their ability level, and those whose brains push them too hard and can get themselves in trouble by ignoring body signs or danger signs. And we can all do either/or at different times, depending on our mood and the situation. Its important to know your natural / usual tendency, as well as to recognise where you are today. For me, I should have been listening to my body rather than my inner slave driver!!

2 comments:

xxxx said...

yup, you should
I've not and I've not a nearly permanent finger injury... I'm learning to take it easier, I can climb 5.12, but have come to the conclusion that I don't need to all the time :P

Rebecca said...

Exactly so! Giving myself permission to take it easy has been hard, but I think I have got it now. Better to take the long view in these things.