About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Rebecca Williams, a dual qualified clinical psychologist and climbing instructor. Smart Climbing is a holistic approach to developing your climbing, and we weave yoga, technique, and ropework together with psychological knowledge to give a very different sort of climbing workshop. I'm based in Snowdonia where we run the open workshop, but can travel to you for private courses.

Thursday 28 May 2009

bouldering!

Today I escaped work a bit early and went for a boulder at the Cromlech with someone I haven't climbed much with.  Its always great to go with someone different because it gets you out of your normal routines and sometimes onto problems you wouldn't normally try.  That was certainly true as I tried and failed on a problem which didn't play to my usual strengths - overhanging to the point of me being horizontal underneath it!

I noticed something interesting in my mind when I looked at the problem.  Firstly I thought "there's no point trying as I won't even be able to hang on".  But I reasoned that I couldn't actually know that without trying.  So I tried and could hang on.  My friend gave me a helping hand on my back, and with support and a curious mindset, I was able to hang on, and at least try some of the moves.  That has sown a seed in my mind to keep working on the problem, and has allowed me to identify a weakness I had been ignoring - core strength, in particular my abs!  Its always uncomfortable to bump up against our own limitations and things we can't do, I am no exception here! - but to develop as a person as well as a climber, its important not to avoid the things we find difficult.  I also discovered today that Jerry's Roof has received the first female ascent today which is fabulous news.  This overhanging, powerful V9 problem is rarely even tried by women, and yet without trying we would never know that it may be possible.  Fantastic that Mina opened her mind to the possibilities and tried it (full story here ) 

So, for me, more sit ups obviously, and more just trying. Just to see.  Just in case its possible...

No comments: