About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Rebecca Williams, a dual qualified clinical psychologist and climbing instructor. Smart Climbing is a holistic approach to developing your climbing, and we weave yoga, technique, and ropework together with psychological knowledge to give a very different sort of climbing workshop. I'm based in Snowdonia where we run the open workshop, but can travel to you for private courses.

Sunday 31 May 2009

hot hot hot


Friday and today saw me out climbing with friends in the scorching heat.  Amazing how the fine weather creates a kind of pressure to make the most of it!  On friday we started off at Craig Y Castell on Tantalus (somewhat overgrown at present) and after an energy sapping fight with ivy, we retreated to Clogwyn y Wenallt to climb Oxine (lovely and cool in the shade).  Don't underestimate the effects of the conditions on you psyche - Friday felt quite exhausting and it was apparent we wouldn't be climbing anything too hard.

Today I took a friend of mine up the East Face of Tryfan.  High enough to have a breeze, we had a lovely day on Pinnacle Rib Route.  My friend sometimes finds the exposure daunting, so I made sure to set belays up not necessarily where the guidebook suggested, but just above where I thought he might struggle so I could keep him in sight and/or earshot.  This can be a huge boost in confidence for the less experienced.  Familiar faces can also be helpful when you are planning to do a big lead - whilst its good to climb with different people, someone who knows what to say and when can be a huge boost for confidence.  So, todays tips - be a considerate leader and work out who you trust and bag them to belay you for big routes. 

4 comments:

Dave S-B said...

Fab! We were camping on the site just below you. Hmm, probably being lazy and just watching...!

Rebecca said...

Last time I did this route was about 6 years ago and I seconded. The rope got jammed in a crack and I was yelling "take in" but cos of the way the crag is the leader couldnt hear and thought I was tight. Lets just say it wasnt one of my finer moments as I swore and sobbed my way up with a 10m loop of slack in my hand...at the top I realised I had gathered quite a crowd of onlookers when they gave me a massive round of applause... how embarrassing!!

Rebecca said...

sounds like you had a lovely weekend by the way:)

John V said...

I like your addition about making belays where you think appropriate, rather than sticking to the guidebook. I have a need to follow the guidebook description- there is so much to think about when leading- protecting yourself, protecting your partner, rope drag, gear conservation- that I view the stances as fixed positions so I don't have to add it to the list. Perhaps too, if I split a pitch I haven't done it in the 'proper way'.
Your point gives me another way to make my climbing creative- an aspect I would like to develop.