About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Rebecca Williams, a dual qualified clinical psychologist and climbing instructor. Smart Climbing is a holistic approach to developing your climbing, and we weave yoga, technique, and ropework together with psychological knowledge to give a very different sort of climbing workshop. I'm based in Snowdonia where we run the open workshop, but can travel to you for private courses.

Sunday 15 November 2009

Listening to your body

This past week I have been feeling pretty tired, and bearing in mind all the bugs around this time of year I made a real effort to get some early nights.  I didnt climb till yesterday, just went for some gentle walks and did some light stretching.  I think it has paid off as yesterday I did some routes with an old friend, Lowri, and felt pretty good whilst climbing, and today I had a good bouldering session and managed a few problems that previously had me stumped.  

I write this because its easy to get sucked into continuing to push yourself or sticking rigidly to a training schedule when you are not feeling 100%.  There might be a sense that if you dont do it today, you'll get 'behind' and lose strength or stamina.  I havent really found this to be the case - indeed for myself I find that taking enough rest is crucial and often makes more difference than just training continuously.

So my advice this week would be, take a few moments to tune into your body.  Are you feeling well? Any unusual aches and pains that need attention?  Are you feeling rested and refreshed? Our bodies need a little more sleep at this time of year, with daylight hours shorter, our brain picks up on the lack of daylight and signals 'more sleep please'!  Best to listen!

No comments: