About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Rebecca Williams, a dual qualified clinical psychologist and climbing instructor. Smart Climbing is a holistic approach to developing your climbing, and we weave yoga, technique, and ropework together with psychological knowledge to give a very different sort of climbing workshop. I'm based in Snowdonia where we run the open workshop, but can travel to you for private courses.

Sunday 3 January 2010

Happy New Year

Its always good to look back before looking forward and setting the direction of travel for the year ahead. How to sum up 2009? Well for me personally, this was a year where my health and fitness didnt quite go to plan, but even so I managed to climb the routes and problems I had in mind, but more importantly, I think I consolidated my technique and mental strength when climbing. This I attribute entirely to mindfulness practice - being mindful of my movement, regular meditation, and using body-centering techniques to manage fearful thoughts. Where does that leave me for 2010? I think, more of the same, some more cardio-vascular work to try to help me stay strong and fit, and to continue to enjoy climbing rather than getting hung up on improving - as someone who often 'chokes' psychologically, letting the improvements happen naturally seems to work best for me!

2009 was a busy year for Smart Climbing - I had a number of articles published , lots of private clients, and a jam packed open workshop, where we were lucky to have Lucy Creamer as one of our instructors. The June workshop gave rise to the short film which I hope gives an idea of the way the workshop runs, and I was really grateful to everyone who allowed us to film! Brave indeed and much appreciated. 2010 is already looking busy, and my intention is to continue to keep up with the latest psychological research in climbing so I can pass this on to you. The June workshop will be similar, but there are plans afoot to design a slightly more advanced workshop to put on later in the year for people who have already been on the open workshop.

I have worked with a lot of high achievers this year, who like me, suffer from 'choking' under pressure. Its been great working with them, sharing tips for reframing, relaxing, and refocusing, and helping them get the enjoyment back into their climbing. Enjoyment can get lost really easily when you are always focused on training and improving, and certainly if you have a perfectionist personality, it does the power of good to learn to play again with climbing.

So, happy new year to you all, enjoy your climbing, remember why you love it, and make that the focus of your 2010 climbing year :)

No comments: